The wheels are in motion for Calderdale’s next Big Clean – and this time it’s all about making the borough really sparkle when it hosts the Tour de France on Sunday 6 July.
A fortnight of cleaning kicked off across Calderdale on Monday 16 June. It builds on the great work of staff and volunteers in the previous Big Clean in March, and the ongoing efforts of the Council’s Safer Cleaner Greener team.
The team is taking to the streets with help from the Council’s neighbourhood teams, community wardens, volunteers, businesses and community and residents’ groups. Anyone who would like to get involved is more than welcome. Equipment and bags will be provided and the Council will help with the removal of anything collected at the end of the day.
Calderdale Council’s Cabinet Member for Communities, Cllr Steve Sweeney, said:
“The Tour de France is just around the corner, and in the run-up we’re doing everything we can to make sure Calderdale looks its very best. We’re expecting 160,000 people to visit the borough to watch the Tour, so we want to make the best impression to ensure they keep coming back.”
Calderdale Council’s Cabinet Member for Economy and Environment, Cllr Barry Collins, added:
“In our previous Big Cleans it’s been good to see communities getting together to help tidy up their areas and make a real difference. Now we’re taking our anti-litter campaign up a gear, and we hope as many people as possible will come along and join in.”
The clean up days are as follows:
Monday 16 to Friday 20 June – Lower Valley areas:
· Brighouse (Monday 16 June. Meet in the Holiday Inn car park at 9.30am)
· Elland (Tuesday 17 June. Meet at Blackley Cricket Club at 9.30am)
· Greetland and Stainland (Wednesday 18 June. Meet at West Vale car park at 9.30am)
· Hipperholme and Lightcliffe (Thursday 19 June. Meet at Bailiff Bridge Memorial Park at 9.30am)
· Rastrick (Friday 20 June. Meet at Highfield Road shops at 9.30am)
Wednesday 18 and Thursday 19 June – Halifax central areas:
· Skircoat (Wednesday 18 June. Meet in People’s Park at 9.30am)
· Park ward (Wednesday 18 June. Meet at King Cross Library at 12.30pm)
· Sowerby Bridge (Thursday 19 June. Meet in the canal basin car park at 12.30pm)
· Town ward (Thursday 19 June. Meet at Siddal recreation ground car park at 9.30am)
Monday 23 to Friday 27 June – Halifax North and East areas:
· Illingworth and Mixenden (Monday 23 June. Meet at Ogden and Bradshaw war memorial at 9.30am)
· Northowram and Shelf (Tuesday 24 June. Meet at Shelf Park at 9.30am)
· Warley (Wednesday 25 June. Meet at West View Park at 10am)
· Ovenden (Thursday 26 June. Meet at the top of Ovenden Way at 9.30am)
Monday 23 to Friday 27 June – Upper Valley areas:
· Calder (Monday 23 June. Meet at Calder Holmes Park at 9am)
· Luddendenfoot (Tuesday 24 June. Meet at Mytholmroyd Library at 9am)
· Ryburn (Wednesday 25 June. Meet at Mill Fold recreation ground at 9am)
· Todmorden (Friday 26 June. Meet at Walsden Train Station at 9am)
Volunteers will need to dress for the occasion. Strong, comfortable boots or shoes will be needed; perhaps also warm, waterproof clothing and headgear. Gloves are essential if litter picking by hand.