Yorkshire Day 2017 – what a day, and what a year it’s been since!
Wednesday 1 August 2018 – Yorkshire Day – marks one year since The Piece Hall reopened after its remarkable transformation.
The Piece Hall project has transformed one of Britain’s most significant heritage buildings into an outstanding international destination, which is having incredible impacts at the heart of Halifax’s vibrant cultural quarter.
Calderdale Council embarked on this visionary and courageous project to secure the much-loved building’s future for generations to come, to strengthen the economy and enhance local pride.
The transformation was made possible by funding from Calderdale Council, a generous £7 million grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund – thanks to National Lottery players – and kind support from the Garfield Weston Foundation and the Wolfson Foundation.
Great care, attention to detail and meticulous development and public consultation have resulted in the sensitive, impressive conservation of the historic fabric and a 21st century venue run by The Piece Hall Trust.
Cllr Tim Swift, Calderdale Council’s Leader, said:
“The transformation of The Piece Hall has kick-started the incredible revitalisation of Halifax and Calderdale, boosting our area’s national and international profile. It’s having remarkable impacts as part of Halifax’s thriving cultural quarter, playing a major part in regenerating the town, strengthening the local and regional economy and enhancing local pride. This is reflected in the many awards won and is helping to achieve the Vision 2024 for Calderdale to be a place where people want to live, work, visit and invest.”
- Thanks to the Piece Hall transformation and other developments in Halifax, the town is being compared to major cities in Europe.
- It’s attracting significant inward investment to the area – e.g. Leeds Beckett University has located its new Business Centre next to The Piece Hall.
- There’s been an increase in day and overnight visitors, with people coming from as far away as Australia and Germany.
- Local businesses have noticed an upturn in trade.
- On the day The Piece Hall reopened, it was reported that local cash machines ran out of money!
- It’s an exciting time for Halifax. Calderdale Council is working on the once-in-a-lifetime transformation of the town, including improvements to the train station, pedestrianisation of more of the shopping quarter and creation of a beautiful public realm to achieve a greater sense of place, and to encourage growth across the borough. The Council is also working to deliver a new state-of-the-art leisure centre; preserve and enhance Halifax Borough Market; and create a new central sixth form centre and a range of retail, commercial or residential units at the Northgate site in Halifax town centre.
- Four categories of the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) Awards 2018 for Architectural Excellence: Regional Award, Building of the Year, Project Architect of the Year (for Mark Hopton at LDN Architects) and Conservation.
- The categories of Building Conservation and Regeneration in the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) Awards 2018.
- Halifax Civic Trust honored the Piece Hall transformation project with a Heritage Green Plaque after being impressed with the building’s transformation into a modern venue with improved access, new heritage spaces and stunning courtyard.
- Claire Slattery, Arts & Heritage Manager for Calderdale Council, was the joint winner of the Best Rescue of a Heritage Building at the Historic England Heritage Angels Awards for her work on The Piece Hall. The Piece Hall was also named the first ever Overall UK Winner.
- The Piece Hall shone bright, winning Community and Public Realm Project of the Year in the prestigious international Lighting Design Awards 2018.
- The British Guild of Travel Writers highly commended The Piece Hall in their Best UK and Ireland Tourism Project 2017.
- The Piece Hall was included in the top ten Industry, Trade & Commerce places that help tell A History of England in 100 Places.
- Won Best Commercial Restoration in the Local Authority Building Control (LABC) Regional Awards 2018.
- RIBA National Awards 2018, given to buildings across the UK recognised as significant contributions to architecture.
- Won the judges special prize in the 2018 Civic Voice Design Awards, only the second time in history that the judges have awarded a special prize.
- The Piece Hall transformation has been shortlisted for Best Heritage Project in the National Lottery Awards.