As the deadline approaches for Calderdale Council’s biggest ever budget consultation, we are reminding people of the many ways they can have their say on what our spending priorities should be.
People have until Saturday 31 October to tell the Council what we should invest in, how services could be run differently and how communities could help us keep Calderdale a fantastic place – all in the context of a further 12% cut in government funding by 2017/18 and at least another £20 million savings by 2018/19.
Over 3,300 people have shared their views since the budget consultation started on 1 September 2015. And they’ve done this in more ways than ever before – from filling in surveys, attending events and engaging on social media, to watching the online video, having a go at the online budget simulator and unlocking hidden content with the Zappar app.
This is the first time the Council has used Zappar, and the aim is to make it quick and easy for people to get involved. Just scan the zap code on one of the ‘Your Council, Your Voice’ posters around Calderdale, hold your phone over the image and watch the video come to life!
Calderdale Council’s Leader, Cllr Tim Swift, said:
“Local people play a vital part in helping us decide where our money should be spent and what our future priorities should be, so we want as many people as possible to have their say. The services we provide affect everyone in some way, so your views are crucial to how they change in the future. We welcome each and every comment that we receive. There are some great suggestions, so please keep them coming!
“We know it can be hard to find the time, so this year we have made it even easier to get involved, offering more than just the traditional survey. There’s lots online, so you can have your say on the move, and if you only have a few minutes, why not tell us your ‘one big idea’ on our budget consultation postcard?”
- Have a go at balancing the Council budget based on your own priorities through our budget simulator, and leave your comments at www.calderdale.gov.uk/yourbudget
- Watch the budget animation video at www.calderdale.gov.uk/yourbudget or through the Zappar app.
- Go to a public or business event where representatives from the Council are providing more information and answering questions. Find your nearest at www.calderdale.gov.uk/yourbudget
- Take a few minutes to fill in our quick survey. You can do this online at www.calderdale.gov.uk/yourbudget or pick up a paper copy in a Council building like your local library, museum or sports centre. Paper copies can be returned to a Council building or posted for free to:
- Share your ‘one big idea’ on our budget consultation postcard. Pick one up and hand it in at a Council building, or send it back to: