Funding for residents affected by flooding

Calderdale Council

Communities across Calderdale are continuing the recovery effort after the devastating flooding in Calderdale on Boxing Day 2015. 

The terrible impact of these floods has been shocking, and Calderdale Council is doing all it can within available resources to help communities return to normal. 

One of the ways the Council is helping is by providing grant funding to support residents affected by flooding, and we have already agreed to make a £500 hardship payment to householders who have been severely affected by the floods.  

The criteria for those eligible has now been announced and letters will be sent to affected households. 

Residents can receive the £500 grant if the inside of their home has been flooded, this includes basement and below ground level floors. Garages are also included if they are attached to the home. 

Payments will be made once checks have been made on eligible properties. This will be paid automatically if we have direct debit/bank detail information, and we will write to residents once this payment has been transferred. 

If we don’t hold any bank information we will ask for information and complete an application form. Once this is received we will make the payment. 

All claims need to be received by Sunday 10 April 2016. 

In addition to this, the Council is also providing Council Tax relief for affected residents, with payments suspended for up to six months. The discount will automatically be applied for occupied and partly occupied properties.  

Those people who cannot return to their properties yet, are asked to contact 01422 393631 or email with details of when they are likely to be able to return to their property. 

The Leader of Calderdale Council, Cllr Tim Swift, said: 

“I’m pleased that we can now announce details of the payments and Council Tax relief for those affected by the terrible flooding that hit many parts of Calderdale over the Christmas period. 

“So many properties have been affected, and many residents are still unable to return to their home. In these cases I urge residents to get in touch with our Council Tax team so their extended relief can be applied.”