Bills Suspended for victims of flooding

Press release from Yorkshire Water

We announced today that we will suspend charges for our customers who were forced out of their homes by the recent floods.

Eligible customers will have their charges suspended until such time as they are able to reoccupy their properties.

We are also making an allowance for those eligible customers who choose to remain in their properties but whose bills rise significantly as a result of clean-up activities.

We recognise that some of our customers are going through a terrible time as a result of the flooding and we want to help them get back on their feet as quickly as possible. Several councils have already said they will suspend customers’ Council Tax bills and we are pleased to be in a position to support our customers in a similar way.

We’ve been busy working round the clock over Christmas to support the emergency flood relief effort and we’ve also deployed significant extra resources and these remain in place as we assist with the ongoing recovery. We’ve also tripled the number of customer services staff we would normally have working and are working closely with the emergency services, councils and the Environment Agency to co-ordinate our activities.

While a great number of our water and sewage treatment works were inundated by the floods, our colleagues ensured that water supplies were maintained at all times across the Yorkshire region. This service will be essential during the big clean-up.

Customer FAQ

Who qualifies for this assistance?

Anyone whose home has been flooded by the storms in Yorkshire since Christmas Day. We can help if you have had to move out of your property or if you have incurred higher water charges because of the extra water used in cleaning up.

What if I am still living in my flooded home?

We will continue to charge you as normal if you are still living in your flooded property because you are still using water and wastewater services. If you have a water meter we understand that you might see an increase in water usage due to the extra water used in cleaning up after the floods. We will make an allowance for this extra water usage so you will not have to pay for it.

Will I get an allowance if I don’t have a water meter?

If you have had to move out of your house we will suspend your full water and sewerage charges regardless of whether you pay based on Rateable Value or whether you have a water meter.

If you are still living in your home after being flooded and you pay based on Rateable value, your fixed yearly charge will not change no matter how much additional water you need to use, and we will not make an allowance.

When will I have to start paying my water bill again?

When you move back into your home we will start to charge you again for your water and wastewater services.

What about the water bill at the temporary accommodation I have moved into?

If you are responsible for the water bill at your new temporary accommodation you will be charged as usual at that address. If you have moved in with friends or relatives they will be responsible for the water bill as normal.

Why do you need my contact details?

We will need to keep in touch with you throughout the period that your property is empty. Also, it may be necessary to make checks on your water supply or your water meter before you move back in again.

Customers should contact Yorkshire Water on 0345 1 24 24 24, use our live chat facility on, or tweet @YWHelp to discuss their individual circumstances.  Visit link) for further information.

This entry was posted in Business, Flooding. Bookmark the permalink.