Applications are now open for new grants to support businesses that have had to close or are facing severe impacts because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Calderdale Council has received around £10 million from the government for a new round of business support grants.
These grants are in addition to the 5,500 coronavirus-related payments which the Council has previously paid out to businesses across the borough during the pandemic, which totalled around £62 million.
The new grants are aimed at businesses in sectors specified by the government, which have been badly affected by previous local restrictions and then closed due to the new national restrictions which are in place until Wednesday 2 December.
Businesses can complete their grant application form and see the eligibility details by visiting the Local Restriction Support Grant page on the Council’s website, which can be accessed from www.calderdale.gov.uk/v2/coronavirus/businesses
The deadline for applications for the new grants is Monday 30 November 2020.
Cllr Jane Scullion, Calderdale Council’s Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Strategy, said:
“We are pleased to launch the new grants and urge local businesses to apply as soon as possible. Despite their amazing resilience, we know that many businesses are struggling due to COVID-19 restrictions.
“Our teams are working incredibly hard to help them, and have been doing so throughout the pandemic. As well as financial support, we are providing valuable advice and safety guidance to help businesses get through these tough times. We also launched our Business Recovery Programme in October with Leeds Beckett University, to help businesses to bounce back and make the most of new opportunities.”
The new business grants are as follows:
Local Restriction Support Grant (Closed)
Businesses which have been legally required to close to protect people from COVID-19 can apply for the Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed). Eligible businesses include those in non-essential retail, leisure, personal care, sports and hospitality, nightclubs and adult entertainment venues.
The grants will be:
- £1,334 per 28-day qualifying restriction period – for businesses with a rateable value of £15,000 or under on 5 November 2020 (when national restrictions started).
- £2,000 per 28-day qualifying restriction period – for businesses with a rateable value of over £15,000 and less than £51,000 on 5 November 2020.
- £3,000 per 28-day qualifying restriction period – for businesses with a rateable value of £51,000 or above on 5 November 2020.
Local Restriction Support Grant (Open)
Businesses which were in Tier 2 restriction areas between 1 August and 5 November can apply for the Local Restriction Support Grant (Open). Government guidance is aimed at hospitality, hotel, bed & breakfast and leisure businesses. Tier 2 restrictions came into place in Calderdale on Wednesday 14 October and the grants will be backdated to 5 August.
The grant amounts will be:
- £934 per 28-day period for businesses with a rateable value of £15,000 or under on 14 October 2020.
- £1,400 per 28-day period for businesses with a rateable value over £15,000 and less than £51,000 on 14 October 2020.
- £2,100 per 28-day period for businesses with a rateable value of £51,000 or above on 14 October 2020.
The Council is working as quickly as possible to develop further grant schemes for businesses which have been severely affected but are not eligible for the above grants. Supporting local businesses remains a high priority and more information will be available soon.