The Rugby League World Cup 2013 will be in Halifax on Sunday 10 November 2013 when Italy takes on Tonga at the Shay Stadium. With just over a month to go, the momentum is picking up pace, and we have put together a few facts to get you in the mood for the celebration.
Did you know?
- The Rugby League World Cup runs from 26 October to 30 November 2013.
- There will be 14 teams taking part in the tournament. These are Australia(external link), England(external link), New Zealand(external link), Samoa(external link), Wales(external link), Fiji(external link), France(external link), Papua New Guinea(external link), Ireland(external link), Scotland(external link), Tonga(external link), Cook Islands(external link), Italy(external link) and the United States(external link).
- The original World Cup trophy, which is the one currently in use, was commissioned by the French Fédération Française de Rugby à XIII president Paul Barrière at a cost of eight million francs!
- This year’s tournament will be the 14th staging of the Rugby League World Cup(external link).
- The Shay Stadium is one of only 21 stadia that will be hosting one of the 28 games.
- Although the tournament in 2013 is officially hosted by England and Wales, games will also be held in France and Ireland.
- While competing in the 1970 tournament, the reigning champions, Australia, put the trophy on display in the Midland Hotel, Bradford. The trophy was stolen six days before the final and remained unseen for the next 20 years! In 1990, a father-of-four named Stephen Uttley found the trophy amongst some rubbish dumped in a ditch near the Bradford and Bingley Rugby League club in Bingley.
- The tournament was established in 1954 and the first one took place in France.
- Australia, France and New Zealand are the only teams to have played in every tournament since it first began. Rugby League World Cup 2013 is both Italy and the United States’ first ever World Cup.
- Over 500 primary school children from Calderdale are performing the Tongan Haka (Sipi Tau) before the Rugby League World Cup game at the Shay Stadium in Halifax.
Tonga will be playing Italy on Sunday 10 November 2013 and you have an opportunity to be a part of this international event on your doorstep. Tickets start from as low as £5 for children and £10 for adults and there are some amazing group deals, including 15% off if you buy over 15 tickets, 30% off over 30 tickets and 50% off for over 50 tickets.
Calderdale Council’s Cabinet Member for Communities, Cllr Steve Sweeney, said:
“Calderdale is proud to be hosting the Rugby League World Cup. It will be a fantastic event for the whole family to get involved in.”
Tickets are now on sale for RLWC2013, with 55 per cent of tickets priced £20 or less. To buy tickets please visit www.rlwc2013.com(external link) or call the 24-hour ticket hotline on 0844 847 2013.